Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Yeah, I'm One of Those.....

"Those" being people who read ahead in a book to see what's going to happen.  I'm not proud of my weakness, but sometimes I just can't stop myself.

Last night, for example. I'm nearly halfway through reading Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier, and everything that was happening in Griet's life was just so miserable, and I really was afraid she was going to make a bad choice that would leave her totally miserable forever.  Oh, how I wanted to peek to the last chapter, just to get the answer to one question.  I didn't do it, though.

This morning, however, was another story. When I was making up the bed, I saw the book on the nightstand and I just sat right down and opened to the last page. I found the answer I wanted. I'm satisfied.

I know, I know!  I just spoiled all the suspense the author wants me to suffer through as the story develops, which will make the final chapter more satisfying.  But in my own defense, I will say that I think I will enjoy the story more, now that I'm not having to worry about Griet.  I can put up with her misery (and that brat Cornelia!) because I know how things turn out.  I will finish the book; it's not like "I know the ending, so I'm quitting."

Still, I feel like such a cheater!

No comments: