Pages

Friday, November 5, 2010

It's Bad, but It's Good

My Kindle died yesterday, unexpectedly.  I had plugged it in to recharge the battery, and when I went back to get it, the screen was completely dark, like it had been burned out or something.  The image looks like a negative and it's actually hard to read anything at all on it, even to tell if it's on or off.

Thank goodness it has a one-year warranty instead of 90 days like a lot of electronics (it is like five days over that 90-day period).  I dreaded trying to call Amazon and try to talk them into repairing or replacing it, but today after work I made myself do it.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I explained the problem, and there was no conversation trying to find a way to say I did something wrong to mess up the device.  The guy simply confirmed my address and then said a new one should arrive Nov. 8.  I'm still a little shell-shocked, and I'm halfway convinced I didn't hear him right - I tend to have trouble hearing stuff on the phone, especially if the person talks softly or has much of an accent (and this person had both those characteristics).

I guess we'll see on Monday.  But if there's a new Kindle on my porch that afternoon, you can bet I'll leave some positive feedback somewhere on the Amazon site.

3 comments:

Augustina Peach said...

It arrived, on time, brand new. Color me impressed.

Ephemera said...

Oh! I'm so sorry your little Kindle died, but glad they made it right for you. What happened with all the books you had on the old one?

Augustina Peach said...

The books are all archived at Amazon, so I just had to transfer them over to the new device. That's a nice feature, because Roger downloaded the Kindle app to his phone, and since it is attached to my Amazon account, he has access to all the books, too. It's like a library!