Pages

Monday, February 17, 2020

The Power of Comfort Food

I had a mandatory workshop for school Saturday, which put me in not the greatest of moods. I'll admit it - I am pretty selfish with my time. I'm especially selfish with my weekends during the school year, because those are my only "free" times to do laundry and grade stuff and maybe, just maybe, have a couple of hours for something fun.

Add to that the fact that the workshop was really just a re-hash of information and policies I already know. So there wasn't much point to spending the biggest part of my Saturday listening to lectures. As the day went on, my mood went lower and lower.

I would liked to have spent what was left of the day at home, but I had a social commitment that evening. I went, but I probably wasn't the most engaged guest. Until I saw the menu, that is.














The hostess had made Frito chili pie with fresh taco toppings (and I had promised to bring guacamole, so we had that on top, as well). Another woman in the group had made two cobblers, peach and cherry,made with big red and black sweet cherries (but I had eyes only for the cherry!).

I haven't had either of those things in a long time, and they just absolutely hit the spot Saturday night. I know this is a small thing, but the bright color of the lettuce and tomatoes and the fresh jalapeno slice atop the pile of Fritos and chili was just so pretty and cheerful that I felt my mood lifting as soon as I sat down with my plate. And the cobbler, with its flaky crust topped with a sprinkle of extra sugar, was soul-soothing.

Intellectually, I've understood the phrase "comfort food," but Saturday night, I came to an experiential understanding. And man, it was delicious!




No comments: